Re: performance

From: Tim Gorman <Tim_at_SageLogix.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 09:14:08 -0800

I didn't mean to be so stiff on the reply -- sorry for that...

The most common issues in the redo stream are certainly sizing and I/O. Yes, it can be quite cut-and-dried. But Ravi merely mentioned that "performance was slower" after enabling ARCHIVELOG mode and for all we know, it truly may have nothing to do with the redo logging stream whatsoever. It could be something else (i.e. bad SQL that someone recently slammed in at the same time) that neither Ravi (nor we) are aware of. It could be anything at all...

So, making changes in the complete absence of information can easily end up with the following scenario: Ravi makes the recommended changes (i.e. add redo log groups, change group sizes, pester SysAdmins to create new file-systems to separate online from archived destinations, etc), all with no impact on performance. Thus, his credibility is harmed, if not totally destroyed. Happens all the time...(8 million stories in the naked city)...

Better to look first, understand exactly what is happening, and act on real information.

> I've assumed, that nothing changed beside ARCHIVE LOG mode. "when Our DB
is
> non-archive mode that was ok,when we moved to Archive, it is dead slow"
> This directs to the question of I/O with archiving redo logs in first
turn.
> Doesn't it? What may be other direct performance issues of ARCHIVE LOG
mode?
> I admit that there is not enough information, which may easily make me
> mistaken. However, there should be some general setup for archive log
mode,
> and that's what I gave. General setup should be made before moving to
> archivelog mode and taken as basis for further tuning.
>
> Alexandre

Lists

Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: Tim_at_SageLogix.com