Re: Oracle Performance Tuning steps

From: Gavin D'Mello <gavin_d_at_tis.co.in>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 00:03:21 -0800

Hi,

        I'm working on a pidley sized db ( about 100mb) but sometimes when I try compiling a decent sized package i get a time out error saying the object is locked, while at other times the package compiles on the fly.
        I'm trying to figure out why i get this error randomly. Some suggestions maybe that the compiler is going into a loop in my code which i seriously doubt. Is there any way I can find out what is causing the compile to hang up .... yes i know it says the object is locked but when no one is using the db ( that's when I update) why should the object (i.e. my package) lock ?
any help would be really appreciated,

thank you,

Gavin

  Thnx Mike ,

  U saved at least 50-60 bucks of mine. Nyways can anyone tell me few links where I can find good documentation on Oracle Performance Tuning ? (Or books if they are worth byuing .............)

  Thnx in advance

-Chetan

   "Johnson, Michael " wrote:

    I have seen no other books that deal with Oracle waits the     way Gaja and Kirti's book does. After all, the waits are     what you are trying to diagnose in a slow system.

    There are several web sites floating around that have     some good technical papers on diagnosing slow systems.

    IMHO, I find that Oracle Books are like Stock Trading books. There     are only a few good ones floating around, but alot of them     offer advice that is down right dangerous, so choose wisely.

    FWIW.     Mike

Author: Gavin D'Mello
  INET: gavin_d_at_tis.co.in