Re: Virtual drive on Solaris

From: Tim Gorman <Tim_at_SageLogix.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 20:58:19 -0800

Ferenc,

What a small world!

That class in Dallas was the very first teach of the excellent "Oracle Server Internals" seminars anywhere, ever. Originally, Scott Gossett was supposed to teach all of them, but he was booked at the time so Oracle Education hired me as a replacement contractor to deliver them. Then, Scott suffered some serious health problems, so I got to teach that course about a dozen more times in North and South America through 1998 and 1999. But Scott got well and has been doing it (extremely well!) ever since, I'm told...

I have to admit that I was flat-out terrified teaching that first class in Dallas. Not only was it brand-new curriculum, but there were some 30-35 people packed in there and most of them were like you -- exceedingly sharp! One guy (do you remember?) who sat in the front row had been on the team at Bell Labs who worked on the original UNIX implementation; he also consulted to Oracle to build the newly revamped transaction layer for Oracle7 in the late 1980s. It was a 3-day class and he casually revealed his pedigree midway through the first day. I spent the next 2.5 days watching his reaction to everything I said out of the corner of my eye. If I said something and he nodded, the angels sang hosannas and the sun shone brightly. If I said something and he frowned or squinted and tilted his head, I almost fell over. Absolutely nerve-wracking! Oh well, that which doesn't kill you...

Thanks for the info!

-Tim

> Used it for large application upgrades, works a charm, cut down the time
by
> about a third. But it does not work on every platform, because when I set
it
> and then perform a transaction, upon dumping the redo log, I find my
> transaction in there. But thanks Tim.
>
> BTW, I was in that class, you ran it in Dallas in 1998 at Oracle
Education.
> Cheers :
>
> Regards:
> Ferenc Mantfeld
> Senior Performance Engineer
> Siebel Performance Engineering
> Melbourne, 3000, VIC, Australia
> Only Robinson Crusoe had all his work done by Friday

DB
> > starts up fine, but redo log is generated, evidenced by log switching
> going
> > on.
> >
> > Also if I do a normal DML (large-ish one to verify), then dump the redo
> log,
> > I see my transaction there, so for a 420R, running Solaris8 and Oracle
> > 9.0.1, it would seem that _disable_logging does not work.
> >
> > I don't want to complicate the picture even further with transportable
> > tablespaces, which would mean that I would need to store all dependent
> > objects (in this case indexes only) in the same tablespace, which I
could
> > easily achieve by rebuilding all indexes using a dynamic SQL.
> >
> > Informatica BTW does not only do single level inserts, version 5.0
onwards
> > has a 'bulk load' feature, but I am not sure what this actually does.
> > Previously Sagent also had a 'direct load' switch, which meant that it
> wrote
> > all of its data to large (very large) flat files and then used
Sql*Loader

Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: Tim_at_SageLogix.com