Re: WebLogic, Oracle JDBC related

From: Murali Vallath <murali_vallath_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 19:43:20 -0800

Good discussion.

We have exactly the same setup. You are correct Suzy. However would like to confirm that WL manages the connection pools and like Suzy has mentioned is how they are set.

Before starting the application a minimum number of connection pools are defined for weblogic and when the application starts one will notice that many connections made to Oracle. Now these minimum connections (used or not used) remain attached to the database for the life of the application (at least that is what we are noticing).

Kriti, I am not sure what JDBC driver you are using. Thick or thin? if you are using the JDBC thick driver you have some control, like you can enable TNS tracing on both the client and database server side and look at the traffic. Also there is another great tool (really good) called Velocitop (i think that is how its spelt) that is placed in front of the JDBC connection on the app server side. Using this tool you could clearly measure and drill down various aspects of the network traffic, initiator, requests, waits, commits, rollbacks etc.

Now one hurdle, is with transaction management, since WL logic takes care of cleaning up transactions, the developers do not explicitly disconnect or complete a connection for reusability. This is bad, because while we are moving away from WL, the new application server will not do this automatic closing of connections hence these connections are being consumed pretty quickly.

Long, connections pools have a similar behavior as MTS or Shared Servers (in Oracle 9i) Basically to share connections to the database.

Regards

Murali

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 18:53:18 -0800

Again, I'm a little rusty on WL, it's been awhile (4.5) and don't have access to a current working environment. So, someone please correct where I'm wrong...

The WL server does manage the connection pool. The WL server creates a pool of database connections at server startup (initialCapacity). When the app code makes a database call, it accesses a connection from the pool then releases it back to the pool when the database call completes. IIRC, there are Java classes for accessing & releasing connections from the pool.

If all initialCapacity connections in the pool are in-use, WL server allocates more connections in the pool as needed (capacityIncrement), up to and not exceeding maxCapacity. There are other parameters that control the pool, which Bill Pass mentions in his reply.

Suzy

Long.Nguyen_at_csiro.au wrote:

> Suzy,
>
> You said "The app java code should be managing the allocation and release
of
> connections within the pool". Do not know anything about connection pool,
so this might be a naive question: It seems to me that it is not a good set up if the applications have to do the pool managing themselved; why can't WL do the pool
> managing itself?
>
> Long

Web

Author: Suzy Vordos