RE: the ora certified masters cert, yet again

From: Khedr, Waleed <Waleed.Khedr_at_FMR.COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 09:18:28 -0800

I enjoyed this thread a lot and this is how I see it:

If a company is hiring a DBA and they have no people with database experience to interview the candidates then probably any certification could be a factor here.

Most of the companies that hire DBA are usually looking for a talent that adds a big value to the entire group. Talent usually means a person who has good database administration, development, data modeling, data architecture, performance tuning experience. Also they do not test if you can answer a question like "What is the STORAGE CLAUSE" but they asses your ability as person to learn, react, improve and lead a team.

This kind of talent will never be judged by a certification or a single test but if it happened then I think this is probably will not be the right place to work for.

Even companies that do not have database people to interview candidates they usually ask external people to do this for them.

I was asked many times by many of my previous clients to interview people for them. Also I had the chance to interview OCP candidates.

My experience is most of the people that went for OCP were people either changing careers or very junior.

So as long you have the confidence that you can market yourself and your skills then certification means nothing but if you have nothing to sell then probably buying a certificate could help.

Regards,

Waleed

Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company

Author: Nuno Souto
  INET: nsouto_at_optushome.com.au

Author: Khedr, Waleed
  INET: Waleed.Khedr_at_FMR.COM