RE: Deleting large table and the correct log buffer size

From: Kevin Lange <kgel_at_ppoone.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 12:58:41 -0800

WE had a similar bad response when deleting from a 16 million row table. Due to certain circumastances we were unable to truncate ... only delete.

We found 2 things that caused the big slowdown.

  1. Archiving. Logging all the delete added a small amount of slowdown.
  2. Extents. It turned out that table had 8540 extents (I know ... it was one reason were were rebuilding it). That many extents causes a very big strain on things.

We ended up rebuilding it twice. The first time , the delete litterally took hours. The second time (After the extent problem was taken care of), the delete took minutes.

I am curious as to how many extents that table has.

Author: Kevin Lange
  INET: kgel_at_ppoone.com