RE: the ora certified masters cert, yet again

From: <Peter.McLarty_at_mincom.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 16:08:55 -0800

Here is another one that puts cold water on the Certification argument, We very rarely have our customers call asking for a consultant with Oracle Certification. They are usually more interested in the person having a Degree.

Cheers

Peter McLarty               E-mail: Peter.Mclarty_at_mincom.com
Technical Consultant        WWW: http://www.mincom.com
APAC Technical Services     Phone: +61 (0)7 3303 3461
Brisbane,  Australia        Mobile: +61 (0)402 094 238
                            Facsimile: +61 (0)7 3303 3048
A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.

    - Walter Bagehot (1826-1877 British Economist)
Mincom "The People, The Experience, The Vision"

delete it and notify the sender. The contents of this e-mail are the
opinion of the writer only and are not endorsed by the Mincom Group of
companies unless expressly stated otherwise.

"Karniotis, Stephen" <Stephen_Karniotis_at_compuware.com>
Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
26-06-2002 04:17 AM
Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Fax to:
        Subject:        RE: the ora certified masters cert, yet again

Rachel has really baiting me on this one, as she is well aware of my
position on certifications, especially Oracle's.  I watched some of this
thread start and laughed.

Vendor-sponsored certifications are no more valuable to the marketplace
than
the software they claim is 100% bug free.  This is especially true when
the
vendor "pushes" the certification out to the market for next to nothing
and
then complains that the industry sees no value in it because SOOOOOO many
people have it.  Who's to blame for that.  Why do you think Microsoft
reduced the number of organizations that offer MCS* certifications?  There
are TOOOO MANY.  Our company offered MCS* certifications, including a
complete training program, as required and it brought NO VALUE.

Look at companies like Novell, etc.  Originally, Novel's certifications,
CNA, CNE, & CNAE, were offered at a high cost and only the few and proud
had
obtained it.  The original certification exams, CSP, CCP, etc. that were
offered by third-party institutes have also lost their value as anyone
with
a book and time can pass them.  It's too bad because certifications DID
mean
something in the 1980s and early 1990s.

Oracle is crying in its own spoiled milk on this one.  They caused the
problem and now they are trying to fix it by ramming a new program down
our
throats.  Think about it folks.  You have to pay an additional $ 2000 for
what?  The only reason people will take this ridiculous path is to achieve
higher level in the Oracle Partner Program.  No More. No less.

If you really think that having an OCM or OCP or other certification is
going to make the difference in you getting a job, you have REAL problems.
As far as Rachel substituting books and presentations for certifications,
agree with her.  As a personal friend of hers ( I hope still after this
long
email), I also do not have my certification because my experience shows:
25+ presentations around the world, recognized industry expert, and 17+
years doing the job.

OK.  I'm off the soap box.  Get off the certification box now before it
collapses and Oracle builds another one.  You know:  If Oracle would
concentrate on building better quality software with the time spent on
this
stupid certification program, all of us would be better off!

Thank You

Stephen P. Karniotis
Product Architect
Compuware Corporation