FW: Restore with RMAN

From: Muqthar Ahmed <Muqthar.Ahmed_at_decoratetoday.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 13:41:20 -0800

Luc,

RMAN catalog will always restore the latest CONTROLFILE. If you can restore OLDER version of CONTROLFILE then you can restore the previous one.

Muqthar Ahmed
DBA -----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 4:50 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Luc -

        I wondered about this issue, but since it wasn't going to be on the OCP B&R exam, it obviously wasn't worth knowing (just a little dark OCP humor).

        My initial guess would be either:
1) RMAN would just "know" to go to the earlier backup if the first failed (I doubt that).
2) Manually go into the RMAN catalog and delete the reference to the bad backup so RMAN no longer knows it exists. I also believe there may be an RMAN command to accomplish this.
3) Hope someone else on this list knows the answer.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 20% OCP
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: Luc Demanche
  INET: luckyref_at_yahoo.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

Author: Muqthar Ahmed
  INET: Muqthar.Ahmed_at_decoratetoday.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Jun 25 2002 - 16:41:20 CDT