RE: recording SQLPlus activity

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 12:45:15 -0800

Ray,

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 2:24 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Dennis,
I dont want to create separate working environments for each of the users. We have had cases where developers compile programs in their programs and which do not work in the real environment, and several other issues.

Ideally, I would like to have everyone work in the same environment, but with controls.

Ray

>From : DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
To : Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> Subject : RE: recording SQLPlus activity Date : Mon, 24 Jun 2002 17:43:18 -0800

Ray - A couple of things come to mind. First, does each developer have their own Oracle login? If not, you probably will not be able to tell who did what anyway.

     What version of Oracle?
     I would consider running the database in ARCHIVELOG mode. Not a bad
idea in a heavy development environment because people are making important changes and a lot of changes, so while recoverability might not be quite as important as a full production environment, it is important. A big failure could affect a lot of people. You can also perform point-in-time recoveries. If you have archive logs and a recent version of Oracle (8i, I believe), you can use LogMiner to extract what they are doing / did. It also works against the online redo logs, so when somebody really bollixes everything up, you can read the online logs to find the culprit quickly.

     Another source of information that stores less history is to dump the V$SQLTEXT table. This is also useful to see what queries people are running against the database. In the long run, you want to make sure they creating good queries. You can run STATSPACK, capture the SQL each hour, and it also lists the SQL ordered by resource usage, so you can spot the bad queries before they migrate to production.

     Yet another consideration is to turn auditing on. You can probably just turn on a couple of auditing options and get what you need without storing every minute detail.
Hope these are enough sources of information for you. Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: Ray Gordon