Re: Difference Between DBMS/RDBMS

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriole.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 12:03:48 -0800

"Mercadante, Thomas F" wrote:

> Oh you bunch of young whipper-snappers!
>
> A long time ago in a place far-away, we started with simple File Systems.
> Then came ISAM file systems.
> These begate DBMS systems. Note there was no 'R' in original DBMS systems.
> Some of these were simply an extention to ISAM files that allowed (and
> demanded) a more formalized collection of files. In these files, there were
> tables and indexes and primary keys. I remember these as "Hierarchical
> Database Systems". Still no such thing as foreign keys.
>
> Finally, I believe, DEC came out with the RBMS system which was (I know I
> will be corrected on this) one of the first Relational Database Managment
> Systems to be made available for large systems. (I have no knowledge of IBM
> products - anybody? When did DB2 make itself known?).
>
> On PC's there was also something called RDB I think.
>
> See, its good to be old!
>
> Tom Mercadante
> Oracle Certified Professional

Tom,

   Codd's paper was published in 1970 - as it happens, Codd was an "IBM Fellow". I think that work work on System*R in the IBM San Jose lab started around this date. The 'IBM Systems Journal' published the specs of SQL in 1976 I think, while Stonebraker & al where working on Ingres (which initially used Quel, which was to SQL what Betamax was to VHS - only old-timers will understand I am afraid) at Berkeley. A small gang of chaps working on the IBM specs sold to Ford the first commercial RDBMS - then running on Digital PDP 11 machine - in 1979. This was Oracle's first steps in the world. Ingres became a commercial product shortly after, and so did IBM's SQL/DS and QMS - and DEC's RDB. DB2 was announced much later, in 1983, but was the first IBM product running on MVS (with a price to match). SQL/DS and QMS were running under VM/CMS.

Where's my walking stick ?

--
Regards,

Stephane Faroult