RE: recording SQLPlus activity

From: Ray Gordon <rgordon_1_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 10:23:38 -0800

Craig,
This relates to SQLPLUS. A majority of our developers use sqlplus.

There are 2 choices:
(a) separate environments for each developer using GRANTS, etc. (b) one single application owner account, where all the developers work.

Now, (b) is several hundred times more efficient, and I am looking for input on how to make (b) work for me, not (a).

What I would like, ideally speaking:
1. Users log into SQLPlus into the same account. They get tagged. All actions are recorded, especially DDL. Who, When, What SQL, 2. No direct SQLPlus access, i.e. not without being tagged. 3. Restrictions: Only specific users (identified by tags) are to be allowed alter/drop table, etc.

Thus, everyone works in the same area, but I'm watching and controlling.

  1. PUPBLD does not cut it since its not at the object level
  2. Redo logs: One problem is that if everyone is working in the same user, we cant tell "who".
  3. Audit: what audit can I turn on?

thanks.

Ray

>From : "Craig Munday" <Craig.Munday_at_ecard.com.au>
To : Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> Subject : RE: recording SQLPlus activity Date : Mon, 24 Jun 2002 18:08:20 -0800

Ray,

Why would you want to record every SQL statement that your developers issue?   Are they just using SQL*Plus or some other language?

Cheers,
Craig.

Author: Ray Gordon
  INET: rgordon_1_at_hotmail.com