RE: Difference Between DBMS/RDBMS

From: Mercadante, Thomas F <NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 10:00:34 -0800

Dennis,

I agree with everything you said - especially with regard to Oracle and how they developed. Larry saw the benefit of not being tied to one vendor and quickly changed his code-base to C to accomplish this. That, and the adherance to supporting SQL was the biggest selling point - plus, people were tired of paying absolute top dollar for proprietary software tools to access their data. I remember paying $90,000 a year for a maintenance contract for Cobol on the Burroughs A-Frame machine. Ridiculous amount of money.

Along came Oracle. Pay them for the DB software, pick your own 3rd party development tool, and you were *way* ahead of the $ game.

Tom

Author: Joe Testa
  INET: jtesta_at_dmc-it.com

Author: Mercadante, Thomas F