RE: Message ARC0: Failed to archive log

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 09:54:15 -0800

Barbara - I asked exactly the same question last fall, and here is the reply that Ron was kind enough to supply:

The alert is just telling you that there was a delay archiving your redo log. This does not mean that you have lost any data, or archive logs, but it can become a bottleneck in your database if transactions have to wait for archiving on a regular basis. If this was during a normal activity/load period, then you may need to look into the efficiency of your redo and archive file systems.

e.g. Your redo logs are on separate file systems so when the disk is done receiving write requests, it is free to perform reads necessary for archiving.

Your archive file system is separate from your redo file systems so it is always read to process the writes requests necessary to copy redo logs.

Your redo file systems and archive file systems are on dedicated spindles or striped across several spindles that are not used for other concurrent activity, e.g. not shared with data files.

You should also look into the frequency of log switches, if this is too frequent, then it is easy to need a redo log before adequate time has expired for the archiving to occur. (General rule, log switches every 15 minutes are satisfactory for most OLTP systems.)

HTH
-Ron-

Author: Baker, Barbara
  INET: bbaker_at_denvernewspaperagency.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Jun 25 2002 - 12:54:15 CDT