RE: the ora certified masters cert, yet again

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 08:28:40 -0800

Rachel - I think that your approach will work for you. As a top-echelon consultant, you are a bit above the fray. You will be selected on your industry reputation, and you should only consider working at an organization that recognizes your "brand name", because you will receive a salary/compensation "above average" with that recognition.

    For others of us that don't have presentations, books, awards, here is sort of how it works. A hiring manager opens a requisition with the HR organization for a DBA. He/she lists qualifications he/she feels are appropriate to the position. The HR person then places advertisements, talks to recruiters, etc.

    The critical bottleneck is the HR person ends up with 50-100 resumes in his/her inbox (depending on the economy, the local job market, how complex the requirements) and pressure from the hiring manager to send some "qualified applicants" along. The point is that the HR person normally does the first cut of pulling 4-5 best resumes out of a stack of 50-100. The job of your resume is get you into the small stack. I would like to say that someone of extraordinary technical skills spends 30 minutes with each resume, looking beyond the poor writing of a technical person and grammatical mistakes to think of deeper issues. I would like to say that, but don't bet your career on it. Sometimes the hiring manager insists on getting to review all resumes, but HR people can be pretty territorial about that. More than likely a nontechnical person is reduced to looking for:

I'm not saying that the system is fair, but just that is the way it mostly works. If the system doesn't work for you, it is critical that you learn the alternate strategies from books like "What Color is Your Parachute". Too often we technical people are rightfully proud of the difficulty of learning hard-core technical subjects like DBMS theory and Oracle, and sneer at the mediocrity of simple people skills like preparing a good resume and basic interviewing skills. Some of the most brilliant technical people I have worked with had the hardest time getting their next position and were forced to settle for a less-attractive job because of it.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 20% OCP
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com