RE: RE: Difference Between DBMS/RDBMS

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 08:28:38 -0800

AFAIK, "RDB" was DEC's Relational offering and was only available on VAXen, and eventually Alphas. It was preceeded by DEC's CODASYL DBMS, known generically as "DBMS". Perhaps IBM had an "RDB", too, since the names are generic enough.

I worked extensively with DEC's DBMS and COBOL in my first programming job back in '88, but I'll be damned if I remember one bit of DBMS. I know that it shared a bunch of features (and probably code) with RDB, and was also acquired by Oracle in the RDB purchase back in '95.

One of the coolest things with RDB that Oracle should've jumped on is the idea of SQL Modules for 3GL support, instead of the icky pre-compilers. Since all of your SQL was in a separate module, it was language independant. It was also nice from a development standpoint in that all of your SQL was in one module, instead of interspersed throughout your 3GL code.

Oh well...back to truncating tables... ;)

Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com              Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com