RE: RE: Difference Between DBMS/RDBMS

From: Robertson Lee - lerobe <lerobe_at_acxiom.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 07:13:36 -0800

Erm, programmed at college on something called a Sinclair ZX80 Spectrum 1K ram !!!!!!

Author: "Mercadante; Thomas F" <NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date:       6/25/2002 6:08 AM

Oh you bunch of young whipper-snappers!

A long time ago in a place far-away, we started with simple File Systems. Then came ISAM file systems.
These begate DBMS systems. Note there was no 'R' in original DBMS systems. Some of these were simply an extention to ISAM files that allowed (and demanded) a more formalized collection of files. In these files, there were tables and indexes and primary keys. I remember these as "Hierarchical Database Systems". Still no such thing as foreign keys.

Finally, I believe, DEC came out with the RBMS system which was (I know I will be corrected on this) one of the first Relational Database Managment Systems to be made available for large systems. (I have no knowledge of IBM products - anybody? When did DB2 make itself known?).

On PC's there was also something called RDB I think.

See, its good to be old!

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional

Author: Joe Testa
  INET: jtesta_at_dmc-it.com

Author: Mercadante, Thomas F
  INET: NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

named above, and may be legally privileged.
If the reader of this message is not the intended
distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited.
please re-send this communication to the sender and
delete the original message or any copy of it from your
computer system. Thank You.

Author: Robertson Lee - lerobe
  INET: lerobe_at_acxiom.co.uk