RE: Difference Between DBMS/RDBMS

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 06:18:31 -0800

Ah yes, what newcomers to the computer age! The part I always find fascinating is that when the relational ideas were coming together around the time Codd made his 12 rules, the big question was: "will a relational database ever be practical?". Another point is that there were many competitors to SQL as a relational database access language at one time. In the end, SQL won, many would claim not because it was the best, but because of a series of the right historical circumstances coming together. Now, of course, the SQL RDBMS rules the database kingdom. The non-SQL RDBMS is a historical artifact. The non-RDBMS DBMS is still widely used in the mainframe world. If you take a trip this summer, realize that your ticket is probably processed by a non-relational DBMS and your aircraft is tracked by a non-relational DBMS.
Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Da: Santosh Varma [mailto:vsantosh_at_psi.soft.net] Inviato: marted́ 25 giugno 2002 11.48
A: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
Oggetto: Difference Between DBMS/RDBMS

could any body point me the difference(s) between DBMS and RDBMS ?? because in DBMS also as in RDBMS, we can related two or more tables..if a column exists in another table for relation ??

Thanks and regards,

Santosh

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM