RE: Which objects to pin in which Multiple Buffer Pool?

From: Louis Avrami <avramil_at_concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 21:48:17 -0800

Of course, if anyone has some queries to help identify buffer pool pinning candidates, they would be more than welcome.

Thanks,

Lou Avrami

>From the article "Oracle8i Buffer Cache: New Features", identifying
"hot blocks" (DEFAULT cache?) can be done with the query:

PCSS:SYS> select obj object,

  2          DBARFIL file#,
  3          DBABLK block#,
  4          tch touches

  5 from x$bh
  6 where tch > 100
  7 order by 1,2;
    OBJECT      FILE#     BLOCK#    TOUCHES

---------- ---------- ---------- ----------

        61          1        187        337

        83          1        246        661

        83          1      21865        797

        99          1        280        370

       102          1        286       1319

       102          1      24617       1317

       102          1      24618       1334

       195          1        465        792

     31658         10       1289        152

     31668         10       1929        148

     31678         10       2569        152

The article also suggest the following query for identifying Recycle Pool candidates:

SQL> select obj object,

  2      count(1) buffers,
  3      100 * (count(1)/totsize) pct_cache
  4  from x$bh,
  5          (select value totsize from v$parameter
  6           where name = 'db_block_buffers')
  7 where tch = 1
  8 group by obj, totsize
  9 having 100 * (count(1)/totsize) > 5;

Hi all,

>I'm in an environment where we're running RDBMS 8.1.7.2 on multiple
Solaris 2.8 servers.

>I would like to set up multiple buffer pools in several of our
databases and pin objects appropriately in the KEEP, RECYCLE and default buffer cache. Unfortunately, many of the applications that we work with are developed by outside vendors with whom we have very little contact or documentation (don't ask).

>I did come across an article titled "Oracle8i Buffer Cache:
 New Features" in the July 2000 issue of the ORACLE INTERNALS  newsletter, which has some interesting queries which might help to identify candidates for the various buffer pools.

>For the KEEP pool, the article suggests the following SQL:
>
> 1 select obj object,
> 2 count(1) buffers,
> 3 avg(tch) avg_touches
> 4 from x$bh
> 5 group by obj
> 6 having avg(tch) > 5
> 7* and count(1) > 20
>SQL> /
>
> OBJECT BUFFERS AVG_TOUCHES

>---------- ---------- -----------

> 2 271 7.90405904

> 6 23 19

> 8 52 14.4038462

> 18 299 9.18394649

> 33 31 12.9354839

> 34 219 6.66666667

> 32365 151 145.748344

> 32369 22 72.8181818

> 32376 21 5.38095238

> 32383 23 94.7391304

> 32433 86 5.69767442

>In the above query, I'm not sure how to map back the OBJ (OBJECT)
number to a database table/object, so that it could subsequently be pinned in the KEEP pool.

>A better question might be this:
>
>Can someone help map X$BH.obj, X$BH.file# and X$BH.block# so
that they can be identified as database tables, indexes, data files, etc.?

Author: Louis Avrami
  INET: avramil_at_concentric.net