Re:RE: Suggestions on MV Implementation !!!!!!!

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 14:18:25 -0800

Yeah Waleed, share those notes because I'm not having problems with them. :)

Dick Goulet
Ignorance sometimes is bliss!!

Author: "Reddy; Madhusudana" <Madhusudana.Reddy_at_bestbuy.com>
Author: "Reddy; Madhusudana" <Madhusudana.Reddy_at_bestbuy.com>
Date:       6/21/2002 10:58 AM

Hello All,

I have a set of Materialized views in my DB . we refresh ( COMPLETE) these MVs, couple of times a day. Web server ( application ) will hit these MVs to show the data on web pages. But the complete Refresh of MVs are consuming much time and , at this point of time , Application is not able to show right data on web pages. This is like a down time. I need some suggestions from you all, in order to minimize or zeroing this down time.

The first thing I can think of is , FAST refresh , but one of my Sr.DBA told me that the MV definition will not allow us for a FAST refresh( Are there any limitations for FAST refresh ???? ). Here is a sample MV Definition :

CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW GENRELOB
  NOLOGGING
  BUILD IMMEDIATE
  REFRESH COMPLETE ON DEMAND
  DISABLE QUERY REWRITE
AS SELECT DISTINCT
  '1' AS CLIP,
  LOB.LOB_ID,
  LOB.LOB_CD,

  GENRE.GENRE_ID,
  GENRE.GENRE_DESC,
  GENRE.GENRE_DESC AS INSTANCENAME

FROM
  GENRE,
  GENRE_LOB_XREF,
  LOB,
  GENRE_PRODUCT_XREF
WHERE
  GENRE.GENRE_ID = GENRE_LOB_XREF.GENRE_ID AND   GENRE_LOB_XREF.LOB_ID = LOB.LOB_ID AND   GENRE_PRODUCT_XREF.genre_id = GENRE.genre_id AND   GENRE.DSPLY_IND = 'Y'
ORDER BY
  LOB_CD,
  GENRE_DESC
;

My Goal is to view the FRESH data on web pages all the time , irrespective of MV Refresh. Would anybody suggest me some bright ideas , to have no or less down time ???

Thanks in advance
Madhu V Reddy

Author: Reddy, Madhusudana
  INET: Madhusudana.Reddy_at_bestbuy.com

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

Author: Khedr, Waleed
  INET: Waleed.Khedr_at_FMR.COM

Author: Reddy, Madhusudana
  INET: Madhusudana.Reddy_at_bestbuy.com

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Jun 21 2002 - 17:18:25 CDT