Initial SGA Size?

From: Fowler, Kenneth R <kenneth_r_fowler_at_groton.pfizer.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 09:23:35 -0800

List,

I have some generic scripts and templates etc that I use to create new databases (Oracle 8, 8i and hopefully 9i on Solaris 2.6 and 2.8). These scripts just enable me to quickly get a database up and running such that it conforms to our practices, naming standards etc.

I had been using the default tuning parameters (as in init.ora for SMALL, MEDIUM and LARGE etc) but these values are out of date and just plain stupid for today's databases and servers (more memory etc).

My question, does anybody have a good rule of thumb (a starting point) for allocating memory for db_block_buffers and shared_pool_size. I seem to remember that in the past I have heard some people say that 20% or RAM is a good starting point for db_block_buffers... what about shared_pool_size? I am not asking for anyone to fine tune my databases... just looking for ideas on some smarter initial values for db_block_buffers and shared_pool_size.

Thanks,
Ken

Clinical and Regulatory Informatics - Groton/New London Coordinator, Business and Technical Services Tel: (860) 732-0026 Fax: (860) 715-8346
Email: mailto:fowlerkr_at_groton.pfizer.com

LEGAL NOTICE
Unless expressly stated otherwise, this message is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. Access to this E-mail by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not an addressee, any disclosure or copying of the contents of this E-mail or any action taken (or not taken) in reliance on it is unauthorized and may be unlawful. If you are not an addressee, please inform the sender immediately.

Author: Fowler, Kenneth R
  INET: kenneth_r_fowler_at_groton.pfizer.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Jun 21 2002 - 12:23:35 CDT