oracle tech support outsourced ? / RE: what is the latest db that will

From: Eric D. Pierce <eric_d_pierce_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 02:08:28 -0800

an informal complaint is going to IT management at work, cc'd to the Oracle sales critters "responsible" for our account.

I'm sure they will just toe the "party line" in favor of Oracle's corporate robotoid mentality, but who knows?

all of the IT staff at work will hear how much oracle tech support sucks. many of them are already planning on deploying non-enterprise web/databases on MS technology instead of Oracle/java.

(enterprise peployments can't be stopped, unless the legislatitive auditors come up with something real juicy)

the underlying problem of course is presumably that support, at least for some platforms, is going to get real sucky because of cost cutting so that the profitability will look good to investors.

a similar thing happened back in the mid 90s when oracle first expanded into the Win95 market. there were so many new customers that oracle tech support just hired as many "green" people as they could, and most of them took a while to get up to speed. it was ugly there for a while.

regards,
ep

On 20 Jun 2002 at 7:28, Brian McGraw wrote:

> True Story... Names have not been changed to protect the innocent.
>
> I had an issue with a standby database about a week ago, and had found a
> solution on Metalink after logging the iTar. The analyst called, and
> the conversation went something like this:
>
> Me: Thanks for calling, but I found the solution on Metalink.
>
> Him: So you know that it's impossible??
>
> Me: No... I found the documents on Metalink detailing how to do it.
>
> Him: Well, that's Metalink.I'm with support - we're the experts.
>
> Me: Here are the document numbers on Metalink. You might want to look
> at them. <Gave numbers>
>
> Him: How do I look that up?
>
> : )

> | Brian McGraw /* DBA */ Infinity Insurance |
> | mailto:Brian.McGraw_at_Infinity-Insurance.com|

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Jun 21 2002 - 05:08:28 CDT