Re:RE: Alternative to Crystal Reports

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 14:18:41 -0800

Chris,

    Until some fool gives the general user this tool as a general purpose query tool. Then all hell breaks out.

Dick Goulet

Author: "Bowes; Chris" <Chris.Bowes_at_kosa.com>
Date:       6/20/2002 1:33 PM

I have yet to see something that I cannot do in Crystal Reports. However, I don't write the reports off of tables, I use stored procedures to query and process the records and return cursors to the crystal report. That way all the data is massaged and pre-formed and the report is but a "template". When done this way, you can send in parameters to determine what to do with the data before it gets to the report. I'll have the same query with differing where clauses and use something like if i_date is not null then use query one which has a date range find else use query2 which ignores date. Or you can create a query of groups and summaries and send it to Crystal and Crystal will look at each summarized record as if it was just another record from the base. Using stored procedures, you can do unions, summaries, calculated fields, dummy fields, literals, etc and crystal can handle it no problem. It is quite robust when done this way.

--Chris

Author: "Steve McClure" <smcclure_at_usscript.com>
Date:       6/20/2002 10:17 AM

Several times in the past I have seen folks on this list refer people to a reporting product to use as an alternative to Crystal reports. Apparently I didn't think I would need it, cause I usually save posts with information I am likely to forget.(So Yeah, I do save a lot of posts) Well now Crystal is being touted here as a possible solution for a new client's reporting requirements. We have been unable to convince Oracle Reports to perform in the way we would like, so we need an alternative. The good thing is that the new client is a large one, so my company will actually be able to invest in a nicer product.

Author: Steve McClure
  INET: smcclure_at_usscript.com

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=us-ascii">
<META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>RE: Alternative to Crystal Reports</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>I have yet to see something that I cannot do in Crystal
Reports.&nbsp; However, I don't write the reports off of tables, I use stored procedures to query and process the records and return cursors to the crystal report.&nbsp; That way all the data is massaged and pre-formed and the report is but a &quot;template&quot;.&nbsp; When done this way, you can send in parameters to determine what to do with the data before it gets to the report.&nbsp; I'll have the same query with differing where clauses and use something like if i_date is not null then use query one which has a date range find else use query2 which ignores date.&nbsp; Or you can create a query of groups and summaries and send it to Crystal and Crystal will look at each summarized record as if it was just another record from the base.&nbsp; Using stored procedures, you can do unions, summaries, calculated fields, dummy fields, literals, etc and crystal can handle it no problem.&nbsp; It is quite robust when done this way.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT SIZE=2>--Chris</FONT>
</P>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>____________________Reply Separator____________________</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Author: &quot;Steve McClure&quot;
&lt;smcclure_at_usscript.com&gt;</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Date:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 6/20/2002 10:17
AM</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Several times in the past I have seen folks on this list refer
people to a</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>reporting product to use as an alternative to Crystal
reports.&nbsp; Apparently I</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>didn't think I would need it, cause I usually save posts with
information I</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>am likely to forget.(So Yeah, I do save a lot of posts)&nbsp;
Well now Crystal is</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>being touted here as a possible solution for a new client's
reporting</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>requirements.&nbsp; We have been unable to convince Oracle
Reports to perform in</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>the way we would like, so we need an alternative.&nbsp; The
good thing is that</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>the new client is a large one, so my company will actually be
able to invest</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>in a nicer product.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>-- </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: <A
HREF="http://www.orafaq.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.orafaq.com</A></FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>-- </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Author: Steve McClure</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>&nbsp; INET: smcclure_at_usscript.com</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2>Fat City Network Services&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; -- (858)
538-5051&nbsp; FAX: (858) 538-5051</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>San Diego, California&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
-- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists</FONT>
<BR><FONT
SIZE=2>--------------------------------------------------------------------</FON T>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail
message</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru')
and in</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB
ORACLE-L</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed
from).&nbsp; You may</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>also send the HELP command for other information (like
subscribing).</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>-- </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: <A
HREF="http://www.orafaq.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.orafaq.com</A></FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>-- </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>Author: </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2>&nbsp; INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com</FONT>
[...]

</BODY>
</HTML>
-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists -------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).