Re[2]: The Right Manual

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 14:18:40 -0800

John,

    Take a look at
http://www.veritas.com/news/press/FeatureArticleDetail.jhtml?NewsId=9457

Dick Goulet

Author: Scott <oraracdba_at_yahoo.com>
Date:       6/20/2002 1:10 PM

John, ODM is a standard created by Oracle for how the database wishes to do I/O. Oracle published a standard for how they would like to do I/O and Veritas created an ODM compliant version for VxFS. ODM also leverages the performance gains implemented in QIO. Veritas has also added some management features that will help the DBA. ODM is just like QIO in that will allow Oracle to access the underlying storage without passing through the actual filesystem give you more less raw I/O performance. ODM also address some limitations of QIO such as file resizing and allowing the use of file names. Veritas provides the Libraries necessary for Oracle to use as its I/O library. ODM also has clustering extensions for RAC. This allows you to use RAC on Cluster file systems with Veritas. Oracle does not use file descriptors with ODM but use ODM identifiers instead.

This all I know about ODM.

Scott

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! - Official partner of 2002 FIFA World Cup http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com