FW: Urgent!!Data lost

From: Muqthar Ahmed <Muqthar.Ahmed_at_decoratetoday.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 09:49:04 -0800

Hi,

Let me make your task little easy...the procedure is as follows:

Assuming your database name is PROD database. Restore the database in development server with the SAME database name.

  1. Setup your LISTENER.ORA and TNSNAMES.ORA FILES
  2. Restore ALL PROD datafiles to a location. Since production and devlopment servers file structure is not same, you have to restore in a different file structure.
  3. Mount the database and rename files (so that controfile will register the new location). ALTER DATABASE RENAME FILE 'old_location' TO 'new_location';
  4. Open the database

Now comes the tricky part. Your month old CONTROLFILE do not know about new ARCHIVED FILES. So you can not apply archived files. When you try to apply log files, it will you that there is nothing to apply.

To apply new archived files:

  1. Shutdown your database.
  2. Rename your CONTROLFILES (Keep this controlfiles in case you need to go back).
  3. Copy your CONTROLFILES from your PRODUCTION database (which has latest information).
  4. Mount the database and rename files again(because this controlfile is from PRODUCTION).
  5. Run the following queries to check the latest log sequence number: sql > select * from v$log; sql > select max(name) name from v$archived_log; sql > select name, value from v$parameter where name = 'log_archive_dest';
  6. copy your archived log files to 'log_archive_dest' location.
  7. Now you can apply the archived log files by running the following query sql > recover database using backup controlfile until cancel; or sql > recover database using backup controlfile until time 'JUN 16 2002:02:00:00';
  8. Since you are using BACKUP CONTROLFILE command, it is INCOMPLETE RECOVERY. Whenever you do INCOMPLETE RECOVERY you MUST OPEN the database with RESETLOGS. sql > alter database open resetlogs;

After you OPEN the database, you can export the table and import in PRODUCTION database.

All the best!

Muqthar Ahmed
DBA
Author: Beatriz =?iso-8859-1?Q?Mart=EDnez=20Jim=E9nez?=   INET: beamar_at_cidaut.es

Author: Muqthar Ahmed
  INET: Muqthar.Ahmed_at_decoratetoday.com

Author: Muqthar Ahmed
  INET: Muqthar.Ahmed_at_decoratetoday.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Jun 20 2002 - 12:49:04 CDT