AW: Replication question

From: Stefan Jahnke <Stefan.Jahnke_at_bov.de>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 07:38:57 -0800

Hi Dennis,

sorry to spoil your MS SQL Server guy's day, but I have to say that some of the mechanisms in SQL Server didn't convince me either. Especially Log Shipping, which we tried to do, but discarded as an option since it is far too "not-working-as-promised" when it comes to certain scenarios like multiple servers in different domains. A lot of Active Directory stuff has to be considered there, too. That's a good way to have multiple-points-of-failure ;). Not what I want when it comes to replication.

Oracle's AQ might be more complicated at first glance, but it also gives you lots of options.
We even got asynchronous master-master repl. running on 8.0.5 (yes, it's ancient) and it works (and it is reliable).

Regards,
Stefan

Author: Yechiel Adar
  INET: adar76_at_inter.net.il