RE: RMAN / NFS error - solved

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 07:28:40 -0800

My sys admin resolved the problem. It has to do with the permissions and umasks. Normally on a Unix box, all that matters is the username. However, NFS relies on the underlying uid to be the same. One of our systems has a different uid for oracle, so the sys admin is trying to configure NFS to handle that situation also. He created a separate Unix group named "rman" so that all systems could write to these NFS directories. However, that group inherits the umask from the Oracle username, which is RW for Oracle and R for the group rman. By changing the group permission to RW he was able to make the backup work. Now we are striving to create a permission scheme that will work for all our systems. We are looking to try something with umask and hope that will change the permission of the file that is created. Thanks for the ideas.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com