RE: Replication question

From: <johanna.doran_at_sungard.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 07:23:39 -0800

Dennis,

        All dbs whether SQL Server or Oracle need to deal with conflict resolution, thats not strictly an Oracle limitation. As far a Quest goes, they handle replication completely different from Oracle. Oracle itself is still using triggers (in 8i at least) , ubt now they hide the trigger, Shareplex reads the Oracle redo logs. I believe that 9i uses the redo logs and is based (structured) after Shareplex itself - there were lots of articles on this with the pre-release of Dataguard. Furthermore, Oracle places all of its replication metadata in SYSTEM tablespace which I dont like, Sharpelex uses its own (which the user configures). As far as Shareplex manuals, Quest is the one company that I will stand up and say that regardless of anything else, their documention is EXCELLENT. Their documentation takes you from Shareplex architecture right to directory structure, actual files, usage and even scripting. The sales rep was incorrect. However, I can see them not releasing the manuals without a purchase.

        I believe that they are available on-line for download, though I do not know if it is just for current customers only. (hehe can't believe I am defending a vendor:>). But when someone does something right, I like to give credit. Also, once you are setup, they are VERY stable. I have my issues with them, but overall I feel they do great job at what they do.

Hannah - Hope it helps any.

  INET: johanna.doran_at_sungard.com