Clarification: Re: Repost: Offline vs Online

From: Tracy Rahmlow <tracy.rahmlow_at_aexp.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 14:59:34 -0800

Sorry,
In my haste to type the message, I used offline when I meant online. I just confused the issue even more. Bottom line: If you create a new database what possible reason(s) would there be for ever shutting down the database and performing a cold/offline backup? Is there a reason why you would even want an initial cold/offline backup or can you just start executing full hot/online backups (thereby never doing a cold/offline backup on the new db)? To me I would think you could always perform a full hot/online backup and you would never need to take an outage to perform a cold/offline backup. I am just trying to see if I am missing something here. One reason that I have heard for a cold/offline backup is for "peace of mind". WHY? And are there other reasons that I am missing? Sorry again for the confusion.

To: Tracy Rahmlow_at_AMEX
cc:

What problem are you really trying to solve?

How would an outside & independent observer conclude that the problem has REALLY been solved?

Tracy Rahmlow wrote:

> I appreciate the ongoing discussion regarding the logs, but does anybody have
> any comments
> regarding the questions I previously asked? Here they are again:
>
> If you create a new database and do a full online backup (this also includes
> future regular full online backups) is it ever necessary to do a full offline

-------------------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^

Necessary as defined by who & for what purpose?

> backup(ie shutdown, backup, startup)? I have heard conflicting answers,
> regarding
> this and am looking for some clarification. Don't 24x7 applications always
> have to execute offline backups?

To me any sentence with 24x7 and "offline backups" is an oxymoron.

To me offline backups means NOT 24x7, implicitly.

> Are offline backups done for peace of mind, and if yes why? What
> issues are introduced if only offline backups are issued. In addition, we
are
> using BMCs Sql BackTrack product and I am not sure if it is a requirement of

----------------------------------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^

What happens if/when no offline back is taken?

How much time can elapse between offline backups before the "requirement" is breached?

> the tool that an offline backup be periodically performed. If you know that
as
> well, please share. Thanks

> Author: Tracy Rahmlow
> INET: tracy.rahmlow_at_aexp.com

Charlie Mengler                              Maintenance Warehouse
charliem_at_mwh.com                             10641 Scripps Summit Ct.
858-831-2229                                 San Diego, CA 92131
There are no stupid questions, but there are many inquisitive idiots!

Author: Tracy Rahmlow
  INET: tracy.rahmlow_at_aexp.com