RE: Repost: Offline vs Online

From: Mercadante, Thomas F <NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 10:58:57 -0800

Tracy,

If you have a very reliable online-backup methodology that has been fully tested (like - do a backup, delete all of your database files from disk, perform a restore and it all comes back), then the answer to your question is - no. Offline backups are a thing of the not-too-distant past. The Oracle recovery process is very mature.

If, on the other hand, you are not comfortable with your current backup methodology - like it has never been tested, or it is not tested on a regular basis, then a cold offline backup is a must.

Backup/restore testing should be a part of every production system, and should be done on a regular basis. I use Rman for all backups, and run a restore/validate on a weekly basis to make sure that the tapes are available and readable.

hope this helps!

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional

Author: Tracy Rahmlow
  INET: tracy.rahmlow_at_aexp.com

Author: Mercadante, Thomas F
  INET: NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Jun 19 2002 - 13:58:57 CDT