RE: Online vs offline backups

From: Ferenc Mantfeld <fmantfeld_at_siebel.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 04:03:27 -0800

I once heard someone actually say 'For peace of mind, perform a monthly cold backup'. My opinion is that this is the biggest load of crap I have ever heard. If your backup, or more importantly, your recovery strategy has been tested, there is zero NEED for a cold backup, as you can fully recover just as easily from a hot backup. The same person that advocated a cold backup did not back up the online redo logs, so what use was it anyway, since the only way they would force open their DB is with a resetlogs option anyway.

Think people, think ! Sometimes it really is not rocket science but just pure common sense based on some elementary knowledge.

Regards:
Ferenc Mantfeld
Senior Performance Engineer
Siebel Performance Engineering
Melbourne, 3000, VIC, Australia
Only Robinson Crusoe had all his work done by Friday

Author: Tracy Rahmlow
  INET: tracy.rahmlow_at_aexp.com

Author: Ferenc Mantfeld
  INET: fmantfeld_at_siebel.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Jun 19 2002 - 07:03:27 CDT