RE: RE: OCP newsletter, latest changes...

From: Boivin, Patrice J <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 04:18:34 -0800

Here in Canada I was told you can do it if you have a letter from your employer stating that they are unable to provide you with the training you require to stay up-to-date in your field.

I asked my previous manager if he could write me such a letter, he just grinned and said: "well, it should be our responsibility to provide you with the training you require to stay up to date in your field..." and no letter.

Since then I spoke with a contractor here, who said that if I keep requesting for training and never get it, I can keep the e-mails as evidence and submit them along with my income tax forms. I'll give it a try, though I give it a 5% chance of success.

The irony of all this is that I work for the Federal government here.

Regards,
Patrice Boivin
Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)

Author: "Boivin; Patrice J" <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date:       6/17/2002 12:05 PM

I think this change will up the ante for corporations that do not send their staff to official training courses or expect that staff will keep up to date in their certifications on their own time and money, a $50 book out of one's own pocket doesn't compare with a $2000 course.

Employees in Canada can't deduct training etc. before income taxes, only consultants can. I don't know if that's the case in the U.S. or the UK as well.

Maybe more people will become consultants, but then again there is a bit of a crunch in the IT job sector right now.

Author: Grabowy, Chris

  INET: cgrabowy_at_fcg.com

Fat City Network Services

  -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051

also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: Ron Rogers INET: RROGERS_at_galottery.org Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists -------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L
also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: Boivin, Patrice J INET: BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists -------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L