Re: dedicated sessions

From: Alexandre Gorbatchev <alexandre.gorbatchev_at_avermann.de>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 03:08:25 -0800

Hi,

you have lower memory requirement with shared servers. It may also improve performance in case dedicated connections take so much memory that it goes to use a swap. Guidelines - use dedicated connections if you have enough memory to hande them or if connections are always active. If each connection makes few requests to the database, you may not notice any noticeable difference in performance. The lost of performance (as far as i know; correct me if i'm wrong) happens mostly when shared connections wait for busy server process to become free. Another lost of performance with shared servers comes from dispatchers, but it's very light overhead I believe.

--

HTH,
Alexandre

  Hello Bp

  The topic was discussed on the list some time ago.   The trade off seems to be memory vs. CPU.   If I recall correctly MTS use more resources   and dedicated connection use about 3MB for each connection   on NT.

  Yechiel Adar
  Mehish

    Hi List ,
    Is there any way I can make shared connectiuon explicitely . When I am looking at v$session I am finding tons of JDBC connection which are dedicated . Can I expect some performance gain or low resource requirement out of this if I make these dedicated connections to shared .     Thanks ,
    Bp

Author: Alexandre Gorbatchev
  INET: alexandre.gorbatchev_at_avermann.de

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Jun 18 2002 - 06:08:25 CDT