RE: Have I misinterpreted the e= and c= relationship in 10046 event trace file output?

From: Aponte, Tony <AponteT_at_hsn.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 12:08:38 -0800

Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2002 3:09 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L 10046 event trace file output?

Tony,

It's something we see often. With digital clocks, you cannot be assured that your answers are precise to tolerances smaller than one clock tick. What might be happening is this:

c0 = cpu_time();

# time A

e0 = ela_time();

            # the event you're timing occurs here

c1 = cpu_time();

            # time B

e1 = ela_time();

c = c1 - c0;

e = e1 - e0;

Imagine that the event you're timing consumes 0.5 clock ticks' worth of time. If the clock ticks at time A but not time B, then you'll have c=1,e=0. No matter which order a user program computes c0 and e0 (or c1 and e1), this type of problem can always occur. (It's easier to visualize if you draw the problem on a timeline.)

It really doesn't matter, though: "0.01 seconds" is too small for humans to perceive. Over larger time experiences, the occurrences of "c=1,e=0" (and "c=2,e=1" and so on) will be offset by lots of occurrences of "c=0,e=1" (which will probably go unnoticed, by the way) which will tend to cancel aggregations of overall error.

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com

Upcoming events: