RE: Capacity Planning

From: Ferenc Mantfeld <fmantfeld_at_siebel.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 18:53:18 -0800

Mike

You have not specified how much memory is on the machine, neither have you specified which application you will be running against the box. also, are you going to be using an intelligent RAID controller device (EMC, Shark, similar) with this ? Are you running this across a LAN / WAN ? Are all 300 users distributed across a few physical sites ?

for OLTP, I think your system is way overkill, but always better to have more rather than less. for a DW situation, you may be underpowered, though not many sites have 300 marketing type / OLAP users connected, so I am going to assume your are running an OLTP type DB, in which case, you should be happy with the performance and scalability. HTH.

Regards:
Ferenc Mantfeld
Senior Performance Engineer
Siebel Performance Engineering
Melbourne, 3000, VIC, Australia
Please note 17 hour time difference between Melbourne and CA Only Robinson Crusoe had all his work done by Friday

Author: Bond Mike A Contr OC-ALC/TILC
  INET: Mike.Bond_at_tinker.af.mil

Author: Ferenc Mantfeld
  INET: fmantfeld_at_siebel.com