RE: Replication question

From: Aponte, Tony <AponteT_at_hsn.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 11:15:12 -0800

Another potential HA use of AR is that you can use different platforms in an HA configuration. You can fail over to another platform with some idle capacity or a workload that can be shifted around until the failed services are restored.

Yet another is during planned downtime when upgrading Oracle and OS versions. You could upgrade the target while the source is the actively used node. Then move the users off the source and let the remaining changes post to the target. Now reverse the replication source/target roles and upgrade the old source (now they new target) an let it be until the next time. The outage should be shorter. The same technique could be used to roll back to a usable database after an major application change. Just change the target and let the users try things out. If there's a problem point them back to the source and regroup. It should be much quicker that undoing the changes.

Just some thoughts.

Tony Aponte

Author: John Weatherman
  INET: john.weatherman_at_replacements.com

  INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com

Author: John Weatherman
  INET: john.weatherman_at_replacements.com

Author: Aponte, Tony
  INET: AponteT_at_hsn.net

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Jun 14 2002 - 14:15:12 CDT