RE: I/O contention with external process reading the oracle logs

From: <johanna.doran_at_sungard.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 09:33:34 -0800

Dennis,

        I was not referring to any one on this list. I was responding to the statement that Quest should run a benchmark on someone actual redo logs....... I say, they might.... for a cost only........ I run Shareplex and haven't written full response to this thread yet because at this moment I am still iin the midst of Production issues with their product.

        But to expound a little on my statement. When we first purchased Quest, we were told that we would be able to do many things. We get it installed and then start to play with the *mentioned* optinos. Can't find it.... Oooohhhhhh you need Live Reorg for THAT option.............. Happened sooooo many times with supposed *features* that I can't count it and it has become a joke in my group....yeah yeah, so and so must have attended Quest sales training (when someone is being pushy etc).

        Of course, software firms need to sell their wares. Just like Oracle need to license (enough said on that one). But with this company in particular, it's always ... yeah we can fix that but you need another product product of ours that can that can do that etc.

        Now bottom line on the product as follows (as I responded to Tim privately):

	When they are GOOD, they are VERY VERY good
	When they are BAD, they are VERY VERY bad.

	They are more often good then bad.  But sometimes a little bit of dirt can spoil the honey.

	It would take ony one or two extended prod down times to lose clilents (my companies clients).... so a little bit a bad sometimes cannot be tolerated.

	SALES:  always want to talk to the person above you.
		they get to the person above you.
		Then then want the person above them

		Got to the point that they pretty much told our Sr. Vice President that they only wanted to talk to our CEO.

			Uh hmm.  We are no small company, quite large actually.  So, CEO is OUT.  Even their directors did it.

	But they are the only product that can do what we need with as little impact on the source , and no triggers (we are not allowed triggers on the source).

	So they won the contract.

	And when they are up they are robust and stable.

gotto go.

Hannah

  INET: johanna.doran_at_sungard.com