Re: INITRANS question

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 03:53:23 -0800

INITRANS reserves block header control "blocks" for each row potentially locked in the block by a transaction. Find out how many rows there are on average in your data blocks and that is the absolute maximum you need for INITRANS for that object. Of course, in reality you would most likely be using a LOT less than that max.

As a rule of thumb, I set it to the number of CPUs in the system. The logic: well, there can only be number of CPU threads actually concurrently updating the same block at the same time. So that is my setting. Works fine from where I'm standing. Most likely even that is excessive. Particularly if you use a 64 CPU system. I wouldn't go much higher than 6.

Of course YMMV, IMHO, you-may-be-running-V6, etc etc.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au

Author: Nuno Souto