Re:dedicated sessions

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 06:23:20 -0800

BP,

    What you are asking falls somewhat into the realm of Black Magic. Will you see a decrease in resource requirements from Multi Threaded Server (MTS) which is what I believe your asking. Possibly. It depends on the total number of connections to your database and the type of transaction these connections represent. MTS works well for database with a LARGE number of constant connections, like > 100, that process very short transactions. If these are batch types of transactions that process a large number of rows at a time then MTS is not for you. One item that you may have to weigh carefully is what level of delay can you tolerate in processing a transaction? The reason is that if a transaction request comes in and there is no shared server available to process it then it will wait either for a server to free up or Oracle to start a new one, which is NOT a guarantee. In using MTS I've found the kernel's load balancing algorithms (those that control the birth and death of shared servers) to be somewhat erratic and unpredictable.

Dick Goulet

Author: "BigP" <big_planet_2000_at_hotmail.com>
Date:       6/12/2002 2:49 PM

Hi List ,
Is there any way I can make shared connectiuon explicitely . When I am looking at v$session I am finding tons of JDBC connection which are dedicated . Can I expect some performance gain or low resource requirement out of this if I make these dedicated connections to shared .
Thanks ,
Bp

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hi List ,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Is there&nbsp;any way I can make shared connectiuon

explicitely . When I am looking at v$session I am finding tons of JDBC connection which are dedicated . Can I expect some performance gain or low resource requirement out of this if I make these dedicated connections to shared

.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Thanks ,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Bp</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com