RE: Data Warehouse design

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 08:45:36 -0800

Inder - Offhand I'd say everything depends on how much data you are loading, and the available time window. We do the type of validation you suggest on our DW, but it is relatively small in the universe of DWs and we only load it on the weekend. On a really large DW, your scheme might cause the load times to be unreasonably large. What I have heard from the really large sites is that they often use Unix utilities to perform data cleaning before loading.

        Often the main advantage of primary keys is to help prevent someone at your site from accidentally loading the same data twice.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 20% OCP
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Jun 12 2002 - 11:45:36 CDT