Re: Messing with SDU/TDU in listener.ora

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 15:13:59 -0800

  1. Is there a way to tell from the server what the SDU/TDU values of a client are? This way I can tell if the Oracle Names entry is being used by the app or if it's using the tnsnames.ora

Rich,

You can determine if a name is being resolved in Oracle Names by turning tracing on, and checking the log files.

in names.ora:

  NAMES.TRACE_LEVEL = 6 This is the minumum level that will show Onames hits/misses

>From the trace file:

This is a miss, and was resolved by tnsnames.ora

   nngtgma_get_msg_asn: incoming message, 60 bytes long
   nnocget_get_node: missed testingdb in the cache, ancestor is ""
   nngtpma_put_msg_asn: entry

This is a hit:

   nngtgma_get_msg_asn: incoming message, 55 bytes long
   nnocget_get_node: found dal3 in the cache
   nngtpma_put_msg_asn: entry

With names caching enabled, this is a cache miss, but a hit for Onames. The name was then added to the cache:

   nngtgma_get_msg_asn: incoming message, 177 bytes long
   nnocget_get_node: missed VDRP in the cache, ancestor is ""
   nnocget_get_node: created VDRP on lookup in the cache
   nnocget_get_node: found a.smd in the cache
   nnocget_get_node: found [root] in the cache

Jared

"Jesse, Rich" <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
06/11/2002 02:09 PM
Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        Messing with SDU/TDU in listener.ora

Hey all,

Running the response_time_breakdown.sql from Steve Adams (http://www.ixora.com.au) on an 8.1.6.0.0 Solaris instance, I'm seeing 40% of the execution time in "SQL*Net more data from client". I figured that this was due to the clients being sluggish 3rd-party Java apps, but thought
I'd check into to it anyway.

One thing I noticed is that the SDU and TDU have been set to 32768 in the listener.ora. First, according to Metalink note 44694.1, this isn't even valid, since the max size is 32767. Second, I know that the Oracle Names entry for this instance does not have either of these set. The tnsnames.ora
does, however, and I can't tell which one is being used by the client.

So, before I go ahead and remove these entries from the listener.ora:

  1. Is there a way to tell from the server what the SDU/TDU values of a client are? This way I can tell if the Oracle Names entry is being used by the app or if it's using the tnsnames.ora
  2. Does 32768 have an effect if it's not in the range of valid numbers for SDU/TDU?
  3. Can these parameters affect the "SQL*Net more data from client" wait times?

TIA!

Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com              Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI
USA
Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com

  INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com