Re: Database triggers question

From: Mike DiPardo <mdipardo_at_mchsi.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 12:35:24 -0800

I always considered it good practice to keep db triggers small. This probably comes from the by-gone era (pre Oracle 7.1) when there really was a performance hit with larger triggers.

Although no specific db trigger size is mentioned, here's some support for a "good practice" rationale...

Steve Feuerstein in his Oracle PL/SQL book (pages 868-871) recommends that you should "...keep your trigger code to a minimum and instead place as much of your logic as possible in packages so that this code can be more easily reused throughout your application."

Hope this helps,
Mike

> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations for db trigger size?
>
> Some developers here write triggers that have 400-700 lines in them. I am
> pushing them to write a package and call that package from within the
> trigger. But to put this argument forward, I need to give some good
> reasoning and that's why I am looking for some recommendations.
>
> Some of these triggers are on tables that are most active in the database
> (i.e. DML ALL the time) and none of the triggers are pinned.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Raj
> Rajendra Jamadagni MIS, ESPN Inc.
> Rajendra dot Jamadagni at ESPN dot com
> Any opinion expressed here is personal and doesn't reflect that of ESPN
Inc.

Author: Mike DiPardo
  INET: mdipardo_at_mchsi.com