RE: RMAN[2]

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 09:24:30 -0800

Surendra -

        With RMAN, you are only sending commands across the network. Plus, mostly you set it up to work automatically off-hours. Therefore it puts only a negligible load on the network. The heavy load is the actual backup performed locally on the target database.

Each of the configurations you describe is valid. You have the catalog on a separate system from the target database, so if there is a failure on the target system, your RMAN catalog is available to recover the target database.
  Where you invoke RMAN from is irrelevant. The only exception I can recall is if you are starting the target database using RMAN that it may use a local init.ora file.
  Maybe you are thinking of your automated backup scripts. I would assume that you would want them with the catalog for convenience.   Don't forget to create a backup strategy for your RMAN catalog. I intend to export the RMAN catalog after the backup and FTP that export over to the target system so my backups and export end up on the same backup tape. That way, in case of a disaster, we can retrieve the backup tape from the offsite storage and have everything we need.
  I would recommend that you purchase the book "Oracle Backup & Recovery 101" by Smith & Haisley. Do the exercises. Then you will see for yourself how RMAN works. I think this will clarify a lot of your questions. It really helped me.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 20% OCP
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: claudio cutelli
  INET: c_cutelli_at_hotmail.com

  INET: Surendra.Tirumala_at_mail.state.ky.us

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

  INET: Surendra.Tirumala_at_mail.state.ky.us

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM