RE: Performance Tuning and Backup & Recovery

From: <John.Hallas_at_vodafone.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 08:53:33 -0800

Here are replies to a couple Sam,

  1. If optimiser mode is chose and any table in a query has stats then CBO will be used. If stats do not exist on any table Oracle has a hard-coded default value which is 100 if I recall a note on here correctly. If stats do exist but they are very old then they will still be used possibly giving a poor path. The best bet is to analyze the tables.
  2. 50 user running explain plan at the same time? Some system However the best bet is to select something which you can identify with the trace. Something like 'select this is sams session from dual;' Then do a grep on the udump directory searching for that phrase.
  3. Put a trace on that particular session and get the user to run the application and then you can view the trace files afterwards. (see my notes on www.hcresources.co.uk re tracing sessions) Check that performance is bad all the time rather than just at a peak time etc

HTH John

Author: sam d
  INET: sam_orafan_at_yahoo.com

  INET: John.Hallas_at_vodafone.co.uk
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Jun 11 2002 - 11:53:33 CDT