RE: AW: off topic: anyone form Amsterdam, Holland / other maj

From: <John.Hallas_at_vodafone.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 08:33:30 -0800

Funny being a non-American I understood the sentence to mean the opposite you did :)

Author: Stefan Jahnke <Stefan.Jahnke_at_bov.de>
Date:       6/11/2002 4:38 AM

Hi Andy

I can only give you some information about the Duesseldorf area in Germany and the Zuerich area in Switzerland.

D'dorf:

As a combined sys admin / dba with 6 years experience, I guess you can expect about 60000 Euros per year.
If you want more, you have to be extraordinarily good. If you are not, you might have to accept less. I assume
you're talking about a permanent position here. Cost of living is pretty high. You can expect to pay LOADS of taxes (IRS is really greedy here ;). Housing should
be about 800 Euros for a 70 square meter apartment (but not downtown, that's exponentially more expensive unless
you're really lucky). Food and clothing is also pretty expensive. My wife and I spend about 600 Euros per month on food. If you need a car, you'll have to pay a lot for insurance and tax (really varies, depending on the size of the engine and how likely it is to be stolen;). Public transportation is a good alternative.

Zuerich:

As for Switzerland, multiply the housing and food cost by 2 and there you are ... easy.
Public transportation is perfect plus you pay less tax. You also can expect the salary
here to be about 30% higher then in Germany, so that makes up for it.

Be warned: If you're american, you might get a culture shock regarding unfriendly and pushy people.

I guess Amsterdam is comparable (just guessing).

Regards,
Stefan

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Andrey Bronfin [mailto:andreyb_at_elrontelesoft.com] Gesendet: Dienstag, 11. Juni 2002 12:13
An: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L Betreff: off topic: anyone form Amsterdam, Holland / other major european

Hi !
Sorry for this off topic posting.

I will probably be offered a "Solaris sys admin / Oracle DBA" position in Amsteram, the Netherlands.
Unfortunately , i have no idea of what order of magnitude salary should i get / request.
I have 6 years of experience in the field. So i wanted to ask the list memebers ( who are from Amsterdam or other major European cities , which is compatible to Amsterdam in terms of costs of living / salaries) a couple of questions:

what would be a reasonable salary for a relocating person of my qualifications ?

What is the living cost there , i.e. an appartment to rent , food , leisure, travel , taxes ,etc.. ?

How does Amsterdam compares price-wise to other Dutch cities and to other European capitals ?

Thanks a lot in advance to everybody who will respond either directly to me or to the list.

Cheers.

P.S : Please forgive me if this off topic question bothers you ;-)

DBAndrey

Author: Andrey Bronfin
  INET: andreyb_at_elrontelesoft.com

Author: Stefan Jahnke
  INET: Stefan.Jahnke_at_bov.de

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

  INET: John.Hallas_at_vodafone.co.uk
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Jun 11 2002 - 11:33:30 CDT