RE: Nologging index tablespaces?

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 14:28:36 -0800

Cherie

        Thanks for the input. This would be an OLTP database, with continual inserts/updates/deletes. I guess that CREATE INDEX NOLOGGING would save something in the redo logs. I'm not convinced that having a tablespace containing only indexes set to NOLOGGING would save redo. Since redo is usually created by SQL statements (as I understand it), there wouldn't be any redo against the index, unless you do an ALTER INDEX REBUILD. The downside of this would be that in a recovery you would have to remember to rebuild the indexes in that tablespace. If there isn't much benefit, then I don't like even a small cost.
Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

  INET: Cherie_Machler_at_gelco.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Jun 10 2002 - 17:28:36 CDT