RE: Asinine security in Oracle, Part Deux

From: Boivin, Patrice J <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 12:19:30 -0800

I am working on notes re. how to secure iAS on Win32 for us here. Pete Finnigan is working with SANS (and Oracle) to put an Oracle security step-by-step guide together.

I asked Oracle Canada if, when they talk about "Unbreakable Oracle", this includes iAS on NT. No response from the Oracle contact people. Meanwhile the MetaLink techs declined to provide guidelines as well, they said they can only answer specific questions, one issue per TAR. Now I see Oracle is talking about unbreakable LINUX, perhaps because they may have more control over OS configuration(?).

If anyone has more info / suggestions / warnings on how to secure iAS on NT, please bring them up.

Re. securing NT, for fun I tried the trial version of InfoStat scanner
(single user trial license) on my NT workstation here, to see the result
after having patched Windows NT workstation to the latest patchset and windows update. It found less than five critical vulnerabilities, but a total of 108 vulnerabilities in all. This includes the critical ones. Most of them do not appear to be major, it all depends on how high you want to raise the bar I suppose.

C|Net e-mailed me a notice that their little application now scans for vulnerabilities, it found nine on my workstation.

I am also doing searches on the 'net for info on how to secure Apache for win32, not obvious since the apache group's focus is mostly LINUX and UNIX.

I am not endorsing one OS or the other but am a little frustrated with the lack of info out there. It's a bit of a cat and mouse game I think. I also find it hard to balance the opinions of people who like to see particular vendors flounder on the one hand, and posturing and bravado on the part of software and OS vendors on the other.

I like things to be cut and dry and this doesn't appear to be one of those things.

Comments would be appreciated.

Regards,
Patrice Boivin
Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)