RE: RMAN NETBACKUP recovering from say 6 MONTHS ago

From: Aponte, Tony <AponteT_at_hsn.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 09:03:19 -0800

Netbackup has a repository that keeps track of what files are on which tapes, dates, sizes, volumes, serial number, etc. Depending on how you are restoring the files, Netbackup gets a request to get a file name (as it is know on tape) and checks it's catalog for the entry. The bprestore process (or whatever it's called on your platform) sends a request in a proprietary format to the media manager host. You (or your SA) can look at the Netbackup logs or use bpmon to view the details for the request, including the tape label.

The hang you are seeing is actually controlled by a timeout setting. Once the request is made for loading of a tape, the restore process is at the mercy of whatever mounter is used on the media manager host (robot, tape jockey, etc.) The timer expires, signals the bprestore and lets it exit gracefully returning an exit code in the process. Use this exit code to determine what the caused timeout; it's in the Veritas Netbackup manual. I bet the error code is for "media not found and timer expired" or something like that since the request isn't failing right away (which would mean that the tape was explicitly expired and the catalog entries updated to reflect the changes.)

HTH
Tony Aponte

Author: Aponte, Tony
  INET: AponteT_at_hsn.net

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Jun 10 2002 - 12:03:19 CDT