RE: Why is Parallel Query Running after upgrading to 8.1.7.2

From: Larry Elkins <elkinsl_at_flash.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2002 15:23:17 -0800

I don't know, your original thoughts make sense. A quick 10053 trace indicates with a value of 1, the serial and parallel costs are the same. Here is the section of a 10053 trace showing the tablescan (tsc) costs for serial (Resc) and parallel (Resp) with a degree of 1 on the table:

  Access path: tsc Resc: 234 Resp: 234   <snip>
  BEST_CST: 234.00 PATH: 2 Degree: 1

Changed the degree to 4, and here is how the section changes, note the drop for Resp and the reported value for Degree:

  Access path: tsc Resc: 234 Resp: 59   <snip>
  BEST_CST: 234.00 PATH: 2 Degree: 4

Yeah I know that *you* know what those abbreviations mean, but I included the explanation for those not familiar with 10053 traces. So yeah, a 10053 shows the comparison between serial and parallel, but with a degree of 1, one would *think* they would always be the same. I, like you, wouldn't expect parallel to jump into the mix, or at least I've never run across such a situation (except as noted below).

> Are you sure that it is the
> value "1" and not "DEFAULT" in the DEGREE column?

And along the "default" train of thought, and a wild stab in the dark. If someone or something had issued an "alter session force parallel query", and the degree on the tables/indexes were 1, and, no hints specifying parallel were used, it would still use a default value which is based on the number of CPU's. For example, I just bounced my single CPU box here at home setting the CPU Count to 4. After issuing the "alter session force parallel query" and doing a select on a table with a degree of 1, the 10053 trace indicated a degree of 8:

  Access path: tsc Resc: 234 Resp: 30 <snip>
  BEST_CST: 234.00 PATH: 2 Degree: 8

Something like that *could* have happened. But it is a wild stab in the dark.

Cherie, have you come up with anything from the Metalink research you were going to do?

Larry G. Elkins
elkinsl_at_flash.net
214.954.1781

Author: Larry Elkins