RE: Is this a good upgrade path from 8.0.4 to 8.1.7.2?

From: Miller, Jay <JayMiller_at_TDWaterhouse.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 08:28:29 -0800

I did an 8.0.4.3 to 8.1.7.2 upgrade back in January. My main nightmare with that particular upgrade is not likely to affect you (we had a disk failure while backing up the database prior to upgrade and the server didn't switch to the mirrored disk until after we rebooted - ended up delaying the start of the upgrade from midnight to 3am).

Other than that (which understandably stands out in my memory) the main issue was with installing java. If you intend to install it I highly recommend you print out a copy of Document 156477.1. Allow plenty of time for the installation (I hadn't allowed enough time since I had only done 8.1.6 java installations before and hadn't realized how long all the extra steps took).

And just in case you have problems and need to uninstall be sure to have a copy of Document 159801.1 handy.

I recommend doing the java installation *after* you apply the patch. This will save considerable time.

Good luck!

Jay Miller

Author: Miller, Jay
  INET: JayMiller_at_TDWaterhouse.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Jun 07 2002 - 11:28:29 CDT