RE: I/O contention with external process reading the oracle logs (online redo logs)

From: Aponte, Tony <AponteT_at_hsn.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 09:48:41 -0800

I think they are alluding to UNIX file system contention. If the redo logs are in regular file systems (not raw, Veritas Quick I/O, etc.) then UNIX (at least in my Solaris environment) needs to lock the file for each of the Shareplex capture processes, in addition to LGWR.

There will also be some contention inside the source database that is not mentioned in their response. Shareplex needs to query the source table to get the primary key value for the row that changed. It does it using the rowid that was scraped off the redo log. It then uses the primary key value from the source table to build the insert statement for the target. In our installation this process amounts to 5% of the CPU used by this session statistic. Although the blocks needed are still in the buffer cache, there is some serialization that has to occur to fulfill the logical I/O.

BTW, in 9i the logical standby implementation includes the primary key value in the redo stream after extended logging is activated. This relieves the source from the backwards-looking access for the primary key as done by Shareplex. I doubt that the performance gain of extended logging is totally free though.

HTH.
Tony

Author: Aponte, Tony
  INET: AponteT_at_hsn.net

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Jun 06 2002 - 12:48:41 CDT